Monday, November 3, 2008

In Loving Memory...

One year ago today, my friend Peggie entered heavens gates after a seven year battle with breast cancer. Peggie was special to me for many different reasons. Most importantly, she is the mother of my son-in-law, Jeff and she raised him to be a devoted follower of Christ and a man of integrity! Peggie and I proudly shared the grandma role of our three grandsons from Jeff and Stacey.

My friendship with Peggie goes back many years, long before our children fell in love! We attended church together and about 20 years ago, Art and I worked with Jeff's parents in a camping ministry, just outside of Show Low, for several years. Peggie and I spent summer's together in the camp office, handling registrations, donations and other office related issues, as well as helping in the kitchen, and anywhere else we were needed. During the off season, I worked out of their home office in Phoenix, assisting her with camp related tasks. I learned a great deal from Peggie during those years. She was a very humble servant and a strong woman of faith! She had a deep love for God and a heart for children. I enjoyed sitting in and listening to her tell Bible stories at camp and seeing the faces of the children as she talked about Jesus. We all lovinly referred to her as "Aunt Peggie". I have a lot of fond memories of time spent with Aunt Peggie, especially relating to the ministry of Victory Heights Bible Camp.
She had a huge impact on my daughter's from a very early age! They grew up loving "Aunt Peggie" and little did we know that she would one day be Stacey's mother-in-law.
When I was diagnosed with breast cancer, Peggie was near the end of her battle. We didn't speak too many words about the BC but when I visited her at hospice, a few days before my surgery, she assured me that she was praying for me.

Today, I know she is in heaven with our Savior and I look forward to seeing her again one day!

Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord. ~ 2 Corinthians 5:8 (NLT)

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Thank you Mom for posting this! What a blessing it was to meet them so long ago. She raised a wonderful son into a wonderful hubby for me. I hope we never let her memory die and my kids will always remember Grandma Peggie!

Kathleen said...

What a precious tribute! I am reminded of the intricacies of God's ways in knitting our lives together. Every friend, every neighbor, every life that touches our own has the potential of great things and deep meaning, such as this one. No doubt you miss your dear friend.

Kathleen

Sherry said...

She was a great Lady. I will never forget the time I slipped and fell in the mud at camp and I came down to the dining hall and I was crying cause I thought I would be in trouble and you too laughed your heads off cause it was so funny! I think everyone should have an Aunt Peggie!