Sunday, November 23, 2008

MRI

Why is it that you don't have to do something until you know you can't? If you've ever had the pleasure of having an MRI, you understand to what I'm referring? On the way to the room, the tech asked if I needed to use the bathroom to which I responded, no I'm fine, thanks. So, we proceed to the room and I'm positioned on the table. I'm given some headphones so the sound of the machine is muffled. She cranks up some music...certainly not my choice but I try and relax. My eyes must remain shut and as if she doesn't trust me to do this, she places a wash cloth over my eyes. I wonder if they use a clean wash cloth for each patient? Hmmm. I'm handed a panic button and my hands are clasped on it...just in case I need to get out NOW! I'm rolled into the machine and I'm told not to move...just try to relax. The music is annoying and interrupted by her voice at the beginning of each cycle of the machine. I'm relieved to know, I haven't been sent in to bake and then forgotten! I wonder the "what ifs"...what if I have some metal in my body, you know something left over from a surgery. I recently watched ER where they rolled the patient in on the wrong gurney (metal of course) and the patient was smashed between the machine and the gurney. Why do I watch these shows? I try to relax and start praying, not because I'm scared...just taking advantage of the "quiet time". Now that I can't move, I become very aware of an itch on my face and want to reach up and scratch. I tell my self to ignore it. I continue to pray. Suddenly, I have a tickle in my throat and I'm telling myself...don't cough, don't cough, while I try to swallow to sooth the irritation and focus on praying! Then, I start feeling the need to use the bathroom but I know I must be about done. Just then, her voice breaks through the music and clacking of the machine to tell me I'm half way done. Great...my bladder is going to bust! I'm comforted just to know I have the panic button, should I need it. Pray! I start to chuckle, thinking of my dilemma. I'm reminded of my grandsons who are more enticed to do something when they are told it's off limits and I can relate more than ever. I continue to pray for my family and friends, for the outcome of the procedure. Before long, the clunking and whirling sound of the machine stops and the tech breaks through to tell me it's over! Thank you, Lord! I find Art in the waiting room and gracefully make a bee line to the little girls room! Whew...glad that's done!

1 comments:

Sherry said...

After a couple of those and after the one today! I soooo now what you mean. I was just hot!! I just wanted to wipe off the sweat from my face! Glad you made it and didn't pee your pants!