Saturday, February 27, 2010

Slip Sliding Away

Over the past several months, I've tried to ignore the fact that one of my implants has decided to go south...literally, and sort of east, or west...depending on where the sun rises in your neighborhood. At first, I thought it was just my imagination but after getting the opinion of my family members, it was confirmed. Now, don't think we sat around the dinner table evaluating the situation, but privately, my hubby, and both daughters agreed that things were slip sliding away! Yes, they laughed a little bit, too!

Guess what? Some situations don't improve by ignoring them!! In November, I consulted with my plastic surgeon and he agreed that I was a bit out of balance. His solution was a "simple procedure" to surgically return the implant to it's intended position. I also addressed issues with the other side but he did not concur. It's amazing how he has changed his tune since I first started this process with him. Initially, he assured me that ALL surgeries that were related to the BC would be covered by insurance. However, now he's singing a different tune. Of course he would gladly take care of it all but it would be an out-of-pocket expense. No thank you!

Last week, I consulted with my friends doctor, to get a second opinion. Unfortunately, it cost me a $40 co-pay for him to tell me the same basic information, but he does get brownie points for being very professional, nice, and honest!! He agreed with my doc, with the exception of it being a "simple procedure". Simple for him, he smirked, but he said I may not agree. Obviously, it wouldn't be nearly as involved as the original surgery but would require some down time and limitations for several months. Ugh...not again! Not to mention the fact, there are no promises that it won't reoccur. Seriously?

I'm certainly not too concerned about the appearance but it is rather uncomfortable to have the implant shift downward and over under my armpit! If you're a visual person, I'm sure you're getting a hilarious picture in your mind...it's not THAT bad! I know I'm eventually going to have to deal with it but for now, picture me with my hands over my ears, singing loudly...lalalalalalalala! I don't want to deal with it, yet!

So, to the lady who said to me once, "I have a family history of BC and so I'm considering having a bi-lateral mastectomy and getting implants so my breasts will be perky!" (Yes she did say that to me!) You might want to rethink it...it's not all it's cracked up to be!

3 comments:

Beth said...

Susie,
It has been a long road for you. Your humor and optimism encourage me. Thanks for sharing your personal journey with us.

Beth said...

Susie,
It has been a long road for you. Your humor and optimism encourage me. Thanks for sharing your personal journey with us.

Stacey said...

Love you!