Saturday, April 19, 2008

I Don't Need Pity!

Yesterday, the girls and I did a little shopping because I needed gifts for friends who had babies recently. When I paid for my purchases the cashier gave me a $10 reward card for spending $25. I wasn't expecting it and thought COOL!

Stacey checked out in another lane and didn't get the reward card so when I showed her mine, she went back to inquire. After a little negotiation, she was finally handed the $10 reward card.

Sherry checked out at the same register as I had and when she joined us outside...no reward card! We were puzzled! So she went back in to ask the cashier and he wasn't going to give her one. She mentioned that I had just come through his line and I had received one and her sister had also. He said, well, I felt sorry for her and made a jester referencing my scarf and indicating the obvious "cancer patient". He proceeded to hand Sherry a $10 reward card, regardless. When Sherry came back outside and told us what happened, she and Stacey were furious! They wanted me to march back in there and say something. I was tempted. I sat in the car for a moment with mixed emotions. I wasn't sure if I should be happy or sad. It was nice that he was trying to be kind hearted but I don't need pity from anyone!

The cards said $10 reward when you spend $25 or more, which we each had done. However, their current incentive was supposed to be for spending $50 or more, which we didn't know until later. I guess the good thing about it was that the girls and I each have $10 to spend in a few days but I don't look forward to returning to that store anytime soon!

4 comments:

Sherry said...

I think that is sad that he did that and it was nice in one respect but on the other you are right you don't need pity. I think that he ment well but I don't think any of us will go back any time soon. Love you!

Sherry said...

Oh yeah and I love the new layout of your blog! It looks super cute! Good job!

Beth said...

It's nice to hear that you are up to going out and doing some shopping. The clerk would not feel sorry for you if he knew how strong your FAITH muscle is and the relationship you have with God. Again, just a tiny little detour on your journey.I've missed you Susie! I also love your new wallpaper for your blog, it's very cute.

Theresa said...

Glad to hear your getting over that infection but at least this detour directed you back home.

I think it was nice of the worker to think of you, but I don't think giving you a reward card was the way to do it. Kudos to you for responding with a christian attitude. :)

Love the new look! So fresh and fun, I think it's time to update mine.