Saturday, April 12, 2008

Detour

This journey I've been traveling for the past six months has certainly had a few detours and this week was no different! Monday I was taking Sherry to an appointment when I started chilling and feeling a little sick. By the time we arrived back home, I was running a temp of 102.5 so I popped some Aleve, wrapped up in a blanket and laid down. About 45 minutes later I took my temp and it was 103.2. Art came home and suggested we go to the ER and I initially refused but then he convinced me it was necessary. By the time I arrived at the hospital my temp was 103.5. Being a "cancer patient" and having a "compromised immune system" they quickly whisked me off with a mask on and put me in a room away from everyone else. Everyone who came and went from the room had to wear a mask. I thought this was a bit extreme because I thought I probably had a bladder or kidney infection. The doc came in and ordered some tests and agreed with my suggested diagnosis and said I would probably need some antibiotics and be on my way. Before I knew it, the doc came in again and said it wasn't what we suspected and that I would need to be admitted and seen by an infectious disease doc to determine the cause of the infection and fever. This wasn't going the way I imagined, at all!


I ended up staying in the hospital from Monday through Friday while I received strong IV antibiotics. I had a CT scan of my stomach and they noticed a "shadow" and thickening of my colon with inflammation. Thank the Lord that I had just had the PET scan done about 10 days prior. Although they haven't yet determined the source of infection, I had the pleasure of another colonoscopy and EDG. Of course, once you've had cancer, they always have to rule out any cancer lurking in the "shadows", which they did!! They said my colon issue was not the source of the fever but could be a result of the chemo.

The other possibile source of infection was my chemo port so they removed it on Thursday afternoon. They are culturing it to see if it could have been the source of infection and fever. If not, I guess we'll never know.

Some of my friends from Bible study stopped by on Wednesday since we couldn't have our normal get-together at my house. I love these gals and what a blessing to see their smiling faces!


I also had a visit from my friend Connie who always has a way of making me laugh! She has some strange attraction to my bald head!!

I'm glad to be back home! I will continue the antibiotics for another week and hopefully that will be the end of the infection!!

7 comments:

Sherry said...

I hope that it all ends soon. I pray that they find out what the infection was so that you will know and have peace of mind. I love you! Hang in there.

luvgod2 said...

I'm glad you are home! I'll be praying that the infection is gone and that you are on the road to health!

Julie said...

We're glad your home and hope your back on the road to health soon!

Beth said...

I wish I could have been there with you and the girls. No sleep after working all night is not a good thing. I'm glad to hear you're doing better and that you're home.

Rhonda said...

You are simply AMAZING!!!

A light to the world.

Praying for God's hand of healing upon you..

Rhonda

Unknown said...

Howdy Susie Q,

When I received your letter, I immediately went to the Pink Ribbon to get the full story. Another five day. Great Scott, you’re getting a lot of hospital credits.

God knows your faith is increased many fold each time you are given a test. We can see that you have the knowledge and privilege of letting God prop you up on each step of your journey. It’s a journey that very few get to travel. It’s a journey where only the stout-hearted can tred. I’m sure a year ago, you couldn’t imagine how your faith and confidence in God could be stretched, especially by an illness. The expression about God propping you up came from an old farmer who had a shed which was leaning and about to fall. In his prayers at church, he always prayed, “God, prop us up when we start to lean.”

Like in marriage when you vowed to be faithful to Jr in the good times and the bad times, your vow to God through Jesus our Messiah is to trust Him in good times and bad times, and in sickness and in health. (I know you made the vow to Jr because I was there. At the time, you were sick – from the heat me thinks. I’m sure glad I got to introduce you on that Saturday night hay ride and burned hot dog feast!)

Suzie, through all this, the balancing scale is your attitude. You may say “Why ME?” sometimes, but when your family and friends gather around you to pray, their faith is strengthened by your attitude. Even with cancer, God is still in charge of the whole world. Nothing happens that He doesn’t know about. He knew when you were a young gal in the 6th grade that you were going to be a warrior for God. A warrior you say? Yes, a Christian warrior is one engaged in a battle with God not only in charge, but he’s leading the charge. He’s ready to be at your side in the greatest hour of need. On the cross, Jesus more or less said “Why Me?” when he asked if the “cup of death” could be passed, but He knew the answer: He had to die as a sacrifice for all sins past and present. The thought may flash into your mind “Why ME?” but you know that God has chosen you for this task. Of course, you would rather have your full head of hair, but as you joyfully said, “It saves on shampoo and brushing time.” It’s your attitude that makes you the “lamp on the hill” for others to see the Way.

I know that Jr never expected to be married to a bald-headed gal, but does that affect his love or vows to you? Nope, Nope, and again Nope! Love isn’t affected by situations. Love comes from the heart and he still sees you as the bride on the first night of your honeymoon. Not once, Not twice, etc.

Has your illness affected the love of your loverly daughters? Nope, Nope, again Nope! Their love for you has increased because they see you as a warrior of The Faith. Has your illness affected the love of your friends? Nope, Nope, and again Nope! Your love comes from your heart because Jesus is in residence. It’s the same with all of those around you. Their love comes from their heart because Jesus is also in residence. It’s a communication of the highest type – LOVE from the Creator to whose who simply accept him and put their faith in Him.

Your great faith in Jesus is prevailing, and with the loving arms and prayers of all of those around you, you will be propped up properly. Your example is also keeping us from leaning toward doubt.

God Bless you Susie Q!!

Stacey said...

We're all so glad you're back home! Although the boys sure do love getting snacks while Grandma is in the hospital :o) Seriously, I know God has a plan and I'm praying that you're back to normal before long!!