Thursday, May 1, 2008

One Man's Trash...Another Man's Treasure

This past weekend, my girls planned a HUGE yard sale to help with some of my medical expenses. When they first approached me about the idea, I was not in favor of it, at all. I have difficulty receiving help or charity and would much rather be the giver than receiver. However, they are quite persistent (this I've known since their childhood) and they convinced me to give them my blessing.

It was an incredible two days of organized chaos! I couldn't believe the trailer and garage full of donated items to sell! I was a bit overwhelmed with it all and I wasn't even the one doing the work. They had two days of hard work, sweat and flies! However, in their normal fashion, they laughed and had fun doing it together! It was hard to imagine them selling some of this stuff but like they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure!

Each day, there was a steady stream of people coming and going. The girls had posted a sign that stated their cause, "our mom is fighting breast cancer". In addition to all the stuff they sold, many people were handing them change or dollar bills as a donation. They heard many stories of loved ones who had died from cancer or happy stories of cancer survivors. The end result was enough money to make a significant difference on medical bills! Once again, God is taking care of the details of my life!

Thank you girls for your hard work and for giving so much of yourselves to demonstrate your love! You've been a blessing to me from the day you were born and a tremendous source of encouragement these past 7 months! I can't imagine my life without you and I'm so proud to be your mom! I love you more than words can express!

4 comments:

Sherry said...

It was so much for letting us do that for you. It was a blessing just to hear the stories of other who had loved ones they lost to cancer or loved ones that fought and won the battle. I am so glad that we were able to help.
Love ya :0)

luvgod2 said...

What a blessing! Your daughters are wonderful young women! I'm glad the sale was such a success.

Theresa said...

Wow your girls are awesome! Way to go Sherry and Stacey!

BTW - I got teary-eyed reading your post. I'm not sure if it's the lack of hormones racing around in my body right now but either way that was the sweetest!!

Stacey said...

I'm just glad we had the chance to do something for you and show our love. Don't you ever feel bad or think it was charity! You are well worth it and I hope it makes a difference in your bills. We love you so much and that was just one small way to show it!