Friday, October 17, 2008

Exchange

Tuesday I had my exchange surgery and I'm home recovering now. Those of you who are familiar with the process, you'll understand what the exchange surgery involves. For those of you who aren't sure what it is, I'll briefly explain.

First, let me just say that although I am a very private person, I have felt compelled from the beginning of my journey with breast cancer to be transparent and honest about my experience so that others can learn from my story. The current statistics are that one in 8 women will be diagnosed with BC in their lifetime. Now, think about the number of women in your life...who might be touched by this disease? Perhaps, traveling this journey with me, will allow you to be educated and comfortable supporting someone else...until the day we find a cure!

October of 2007, when I was diagnosed, I had a bilateral mastectomy. A few weeks later, the plastic surgeon went back in and inserted expanders in to my chest. I saw the doctor weekly to have saline injected into the expanders to gradually expand my chest and make room for implants. In April, I had to have the expanders replaced because one was defective and I had to start the process again. The exchange surgery is when the doctor removes the expander and replaces it with a breast implant. Although it is impossible to re-create a breast after such radical surgery, the goal is to at least make you feel "a little more normal". Obviously, it will never be the same again!

It's an odd feeling, going to sleep and not knowing what to expect when you wake up. I have to admit, I wasn't overly thrilled with the outcome. However, it has caused me to think about the final exchange that will take place one of these days! I know that someday, I will be given a perfect body, without blimish or scar and I will forever be with my Savior! Until then, the scars are a reminder of what He has done for me and I will share the good news of Christ as long as I have breath!

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. ~2 Corinthians 4:18

3 comments:

Beth said...

You look Beautiful!!!!! You brought tears to my eyes with this Blog. You remind me of the perfect body that we will have when we are in Heaven with our Saviour. My mom is there right now and I know she is there without all of the pain she endured from many years of chronic back pain. She loved to garden down here, I can only imagine the garden God has given her to tend.
Thank you for sharing this extremely tough journey with us.We are with you all the way and keep you on our prayers. We Love you, Susie

Stacey said...

Mom, you made me cry! I was reading about what you said and it broke my heart. I'm sorry you're not thrilled with the outcome of this surgery. I have to say that you've been a trooper though. You've handled this trial with more grace than so many could have. Thanks for being such a wonderful example of what having complete faith in Christ should be! I love you and I'm proud of all you've done!

Penny said...

How are you doing, Susie?