Monday, October 13, 2008

It was a beautiful day...



Yesterday, 18 of my family and friends joined me for the 5k Race for the Cure! It was beautiful day, in more ways than one! The weather was perfect! The atmosphere was incredible as we were amongst the crowd of 33,000 runners and walkers at the State Capitol District at 17th Avenue and Adams Street. I was overwhelmed by the number of pink shirts, indicating breast cancer survivors, and I was proud to be one of them.

Organizers say the event raised approximately $2 million dollars!! My team, Pink Ribbon Passion, raised $2,475!! Up to 75 percent of the proceeds raised from the event will stay in central and northern Arizona to fund education, screening and treatment projects. Twenty-five percent will go directly to the Komen Research Grants and Awards program for breast cancer research.

Thank you, Pink Ribbon Passion Team!!
My family
Art, Stacey, Sherry & Josh.

My friends
Shawnette, Shannon, Karen, Mackenzie, Savannah, Silvana, Colette,
Beth, Rick, Olivia, Jolene, Kassy, Carmen, & Carlos.

Special thanks to Tim, Justin, & their side kick, Katie,
for doing an awesome job of following along
and capturing the entire event in photos and on video!

Oh, and for those of you who knew I broke my toe about 10 days before the race...thanks for not laughing too hard!! My little piggie is pretty sore today but we managed just fine!

4 comments:

Beth said...

It's the first ime I've ever done anything like that and it was the best experience ever. To be part of something that will help out so many people and at the same time support you. I'd do it all over again today. I was so proud of Josh and Olivia for walking the whole thing. I know Olivia is too young right now to understand what a horrible disease breast cancer is, but the fact that she walked for "Miss Susie" was enough for her.

Stacey said...

It was a great day and I had fun walking with everyone! What a wonderful experience for both Josh and I. We love you and would do anything in the world to support you!

Penny said...

Thank you for including Elaine's name on your sign. It looks like it was a great day.

luvgod2 said...

Congratulations! It looks like you had a wonderful day of it broken toe and all!