Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Friendly Stranger

Last Friday night, Art, Sherry, and I stopped by Walmart to grab a couple of things and while we were shopping, I noticed a stranger staring at us. She was on her cell phone with her back to us and yet I kept noticing her turning around to look at us. I've grown accustom to stares because when Sherry and I are together people are staring at her in the wheelchair and now staring at me with my scarf. I smiled at her and tried to ignore the glances but it was just so obvious.


Art and Sherry were finished with their selection in the electronics department so we turned to walk away when suddenly the woman spoke to us. She asked if she could give me a hug and before I could respond, she wrapped her arms around me in a HUGE hug. She went on to tell us that her sister in California, who she had just been talking to on the cell phone, was battling breast cancer right now. She said she saw my scarf and the pink ribbon on my purse and knew I was fighting my own battle and just wanted to give me a hug!
I was so touched that this friendly stranger was bold enough to embrace me and encourage me! I was caught off guard and my emotions swelled. I wonder...would I have been able to reach out to a stranger with such compassion before my diagnosis? Struggling with anxiety and fear of rejection, I'm not so sure! My recent journey has changed my life and perspective in so many ways! I pray, that given the opportunity in the future, I will be bold enough to share God's love and compassion with complete strangers.

5 comments:

OneHappyfamily said...

I got the totally shaky cry while reading this. There are such kind people in this world! That was awesome. Thanks.

Stacey said...

That was so cool! It was neat to hear you tell that story the first time and just as cool to read it the second. What courage it took for her to talk to you but what honesty it took for you to speak with her.

Thanks for sharing this story. It makes me stop and think about each person I come in contact with every day and what encouraging words I should be speaking to them! Makes me wonder how many blessings I've missed out on over the years!!

Beth said...

Just like Rahab, the woman in Walmart shared her love and compassion with a total stranger(You). She really sent me a message that related to our Bible Study last night. Thanks for sharing that story with us.

Sherry said...

I thought the same thing as Beth what an amazing thing that God was showing us in our own life today that there are people out there with Faith. And Just like Rahab faith in action. I pray for that faith now that I have read her life story.
Love ya lots!!

Colette said...

This story sure brought tears to my eyes. You know this was a double blessing Susie.Not only was she a blessing to you by her actions but you too were a blessing to her.You showed Gods love and compassion to this lady who obviously is hurting for her sister in California and her seeing you out shopping and full of joy was an inspiration to her.Not everyone would have responded in the loving kind way that you did.You are a living example of Gods grace and you will(which you are already doing) touch so many peoples lives through all of this.By the way you looked awesome Wed night at bible study..
Love you.