Friday, February 15, 2008

It's Bright Out Here!

As I stepped outside Thursday afternoon, Stacey laughed as I exclaimed, wow, it's bright out here! It wasn't until then that I realized I had not been out in the daylight since last Friday. Yes, my last chemo was celebrated with horrible nausea, fatigue, and weakness which kept me couch bound for a few days! This was the worst yet, so I am so happy that it's over!! Now, I'm left with what has become my routine, throat and mouth sores and a little fatigue still hanging on. I'm trying to get relief with the doctor's special "miracle mouthwash" which contains Benadryl and about 4 other ingredients that the pharmacists mixes together by written prescription. Swish and swallow...it tastes horribly and it's a "miracle" if you can get it down but at 4:30 in the morning, that's what I'm doing to try and get some relief!

So, what brought me out of my hibernation yesterday afternoon? A phone call from my mom that she was on the way to the ER with my dad. My dad, a heart patient, along with several other medical issues, is in critical condition. I wanted so badly to rush to be by mom's side but my hubby, in his wisdom, put the brakes on and made me wait until dad was admitted. With my compromised immune system, I couldn't take a chance on catching the "epizooty" (as we call it) from all the hacking, gagging a puking that goes on in the ER!

Finally, we were able to spend a few hours with my mom, dad, and siblings, to be assured that dad was stable and resting comfortably in the ICU. Please pray for him, as we aren't absolutely sure what is around the corner. His blood volume and quality is extremely low, he is loosing blood internally, and has poor kidney function from his advanced diabetes. He is being given blood and plasma transfusions through the night to stabilize him. His kidneys aren't pulling fluid off his body properly which leads him into congestive heart failure. It's a delicate situation and I would appreciate your prayers for wisdom for the doctors as they care for him.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed? Yes, that would be a fair statement! Prior to the phone call from my mom, I had told my family that I was feeling more like myself! Although it hurts to swallow now, food is more appealing and I was feeling a bit stronger! I'm thankful the phone call came today, rather than a few days ago, when I wouldn't have been able to make it to the hospital at all!

My Valentine's dinner would have been appropriate for Little J, my 8 month old grandson...mashed potatoes with gravy, and over-cooked squash (can we say hospital food). Honestly, the pizza under the heat lamp looked more appealing but I was looking for anything that was soft to swallow!

4 comments:

luvgod2 said...

My prayers are for you and your family. I know the stress that puts everyone under and with you not feeling 100% even more so. I love your Gotta Keep Praising song - who sings that? I love Isaiah it is so full of wonderful promises like in Isaiah 40:29-31 He gives strength to those who are tired and more power to those who are weak. Even children become tired and need rest. But the people who trust the Lord will become strong again. They will rise up as an eagle in the sky; they will run and not need rest; they will walk and not become tired and Isaiah 41:10 Don't worry, because I am with you! Don't be afraid, because I am your God. I will make you strong and will help you! I will support you with my right hand that saves you. Wow - I love those promises and I know that my God keeps His promises!! Thank you Lord for your unfailing faithfulness to us! Lifting you up in prayer sister!

Susie said...

Kim,
Thanks for the reminder of God's promises! I'm holding on to them! I know you've been through a lot with your dad recently, too. It was a God thing running into you last evening at the hospital. My prayers continue for your dad's complete healing, too.

I think the song you're referring to is by Mercy Me, titled "Keep Singing"...awesome song!
Blessings!
Susie

Stacey said...

It was so funny to see your face as you stepped out and soaked up the sunlight! Glad you were able to pull out of that chemo fog even though it wasn't for the best reasons.

OneHappyfamily said...

How is your Dad?

Hugs.