Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Blessings in Ordinary Days!

Recently, I have been blessed by two strangers while out in my community. It just so happens that each of these women were breast cancer survivors!

First, I was shopping in JC Penney's with my sister (or as Seth calls her, my girl brother) where I was checking out the clearance racks in the kids department. Another gal was shopping in the same area but I wasn't really aware of her because I was on a mission...looking for a bargain! Then, the lady excused herself and spoke to me, asking if I was a breast cancer survivor. She explained that she, too was a survivor and for her it had been a couple of years now. Instantly, there's a bond! She went on to tell me that she is planning to participate in the Breast Cancer 3 Day Walk and asked if she could put my name on her shirt. Isn't that awesome? We chatted for a short while and she just kept telling me to be strong and fight.

The second encounter was in Walmart. This time, I was focused on finding the right paper towels...you know, there are so many choices these days! You know how you get that feeling that someone is looking at you? So, I turned to see an older woman standing there staring at me with such a friendly smile. She sheepishly asked if I had had breast cancer and was I going through treatment. I explained that I had completed my chemo and she went on to say that she, too, was a survivor of many years. She asked if she could give me a hug. She began fumbling in her purse and asked if I would accept a gift? She presented cross bookmarks that she had made out of plastic canvas and ribbon and asked me to choose one . She asked if Sherry was my sister (gotta love it) so I introduced her as my youngest daughter. She offered one of her cross bookmarks to Sherry, as well. She makes these and then carries them with her so that she can give them to cancer patients that she meets. Isn't that sweet?

I love how God puts wonderful little blessings in the middle of an ordinary day!

3 comments:

Beth said...

That is so awesome. It so amazing how God puts people in our lives just when we least expect it. You probable blessed those women as much as they blessed you. Thank you for your amazing courage to face the tough times with grace.

Stacey said...

That is so cool that God blessed you with these women. What amazing stories they each had. Soon you'll be able to start sharing your story and encouraging others!

luvgod2 said...

What a precious thoughtful blessing. I love the "unexpected" blessings that come throughout our days.