Saturday, December 1, 2007

Chemo...Good, Bad & Ugly!

I had my "chemo training" Thursday and heard all the good, bad, & ugly about it. Actually, after meeting with the nurse, I feel much better. She was really sweet and caring, which made up for the fact that I'm not crazy about the doctor. Fortunately, I'll be seeing the nurses more than the doctor, probably.

My first treatment is this Thursday, December 6th in the early afternoon. The chemo will be injected into the port in my chest, which will get into my bloodstream faster. So here's what I have to look forward to each time...when I first get there, they check my blood to make sure I'm healthy enough to have the treatment. Then they give me an IV for 30 minutes to hydrate me and try to help with the nausea. Then I'll be receiving two different chemo "medications". The first one only takes about 10 minutes and then the second one will take 1 to 1 1/2 hours. I have prescriptions to take along with it, too. The following day, I return for a shot that's a white blood cell booster, followed by medication for three days to boost the booster. I will have my blood checked at a lab every 10 days during the chemo treatment, as well.

My niece, Jennifer, is a hairstylist and she cut my hair a couple of weeks ago. Here is a picture of Art and I on Sherry's birthday. My hair is really short but it is much easier to do and it's a good transition for the next step.

I value your prayers! I'm thankful that I'm feeling stronger before the chemo starts. I've enjoyed getting out of the house a little more for things other than doctor appointments!! Please pray that I'll have minimal side effects from chemo.

4 comments:

danali said...

Susie
Please know we are praying for you and find encouragement through your blog. You are amazing and trust that God will give you the strength you need on thursday.
Big Hugs to you
Love
Dan & Alisha McClintock

Stacey said...

I'm praying for you everyday Mom! Keep up the good work and the positive attitudes. You're going to do great through all of this! I love you!!

Cindy Fox Moore said...

Susie - You are an amazing woman...so positive and faithful during this time. God bless you!!

Theresa said...

Especially praying for you the doctors and the nurses today...Hugs and Kisses, T-Lo