Monday, October 15, 2007

Oncology Appointment

Art and I met with the Oncologist today. Basically, it was just an initial consultation and I'll be following up with him a few weeks after surgery. I did learn that my biopsy indicated that it is not an aggressive type of cancer!! Also, the hormone receptor test was positive, which usually means a better prognosis. There's so much to learn about cancer and the treatment process. I can easily become overwhelmed so I have to just take one step at a time. My chemo will start three weeks or so after surgery. He won't know the extent of the chemo treatment until after surgery when they know more about my situation. He said I can expect chemo treatment to last 3 - 6 months. I'm not looking forward to this process!!!

I will be at the hospital at 10:30 on Thursday. They will do a Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy to determine if the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes. They will have the results back prior to surgery, which will determine how many lymph nodes have to be removed. The mastectomy will be done at 4:30 and will take about 2 1/2 hours. I may be able to come home the next day.

It's still so hard to believe this is really happening! When I tell someone I have breast cancer, it seems to echo in my head. I don't know how to prepare for what is ahead but I'm trusting God to walk me through each step.

Have I told you how much I appreciate your prayers?
I value each prayer on my behalf!
Thank you so much!

4 comments:

Beth said...

I received an email that I forwarded to you. At the end, it said that a miracle would happen tonight. You received a miracle of God's awesome healing power. That is great news. The friend who sent me the email never knew she would touch lives this way, but our great God did! He ANSWERS prayer.

OneHappyfamily said...

Susie,
This literally took my breath away as I sat here in front of my computer screen. I looked back through your blog and you have had so many life changing experiences in your life. This is another way God will use you for his glory. You have a wonderful, positive attitude about it. Remember Tim's mom was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 1998 or so. TEN YEARS AGO! We will all be praying for you and Art. I love you old friend.
Shawnie

Heather said...

Susie,
This was news to me. Thank you for sharing & for being so open. Your faith is awesome. Remember that God is your healer, not man. He may work through man, but your life is HIS! I will be praying for you.
Heather Bowen

connie golden said...

I PRAYED THIS MORNING AND ASKED GOD WHY, WHY SUSIE? YOU ARE FULL OF DIGNITY, HONESTY, AND SINCERITY. YOU MORE THAN ANY OTHER PERSON WILL MAKE IT THROUGH THIS WITH THE GRACE THAT GOD HAS GIVEN YOU.

SINCE THE TIME WE MET AND BECAME FRIENDS I'LL NEVER FORGET AS YOU SAT ACROSS FROM ME AND I ASKED IF YOU WERE GOING TO MAKE ME PRAY IF WE WENT TO LUNCH. THAT WAS THE BEGINNING OF A FRIENDSHIP THAT NO OTHER WILL UNDERSTAND.

YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS ALWAYS.