Thursday, October 25, 2007

Small Detour

The surgeon called last evening with some good news and some bad news, as he said. The good news is that the lymph node biopsy's continue to come in clear. Also, the tumor measured smaller than they originally thought so he would consider the cancer a stage 1 instead of stage 2! Praise God!

The other news is that they need to go back in for more surgery!! The surgeon said the clear margin around the tumor wasn't enough. He said the lab results showed only 2mm. We had understood the oncologist to say 2cm. Even so, he said that would have been questionable but 2mm is definitely not enough. He said there could be microscopic cancer cells in the remaining tissue and he's not willing to take that chance. Neither am I! It significantly increases my re-ocurrence rate if they don't go back in. So, he will talk with the plastic surgeon and see if they can go back in soon to remove more tissue, put the expander's in place and also insert the port/cath for my chemotherapy. I will meet with the surgeon today at 2:45. He hopes to be able to remove one of the two drains today. I will meet with the plastic surgeon on Monday and see what we can work out for the additional surgery. Please pray that scheduling will not be a problem for the two surgeons and the hospital. Also, the oncologist had said he didn't want me undergoing surgery during chemo, so we have to coordinate with him and get his blessing.

Needless to say, I was a little discouraged when I heard the news. My surgery was just one week ago today and the thought of additional surgery, already, was upsetting! I'm okay with it now, it was just a lot of information to digest at the time.

So, here we go, we're moving along on the journey and there was a small bump on the road which is causing a small detour. God is in control and I'm not going to worry about the details! This was no surprise to God and it was all part of His plan.

I guess I get another opportunity to experience that incredible peace!!

Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord. ~Psalm 31:24

3 comments:

Silvana said...

HI Susie!

I found your blog! Yay! We pray for you guys every night and we know that through all of this the Lord has it all worked out. We will pray that this new surgery is just as successful as the first one. We love you guys!
Silvana and Alvin

Sherry said...

Mom I am sorry that you have to have surgery agian. But I think that it sounds like it is working out to be kind of better. Caue you can have all the other stuff done at the same time. That part is a blessing! I love ya!

Theresa said...

I just sent up a prayer for you. I prayed for a sense of piece (again) with you, for a quick recovery, that all the doctors could coordinate their schedules and that God would give them the knowledge and steady hands for the second surgery.

Hugs & Kisses!

The Locastro's