Friday, October 12, 2007

Surgery Schedule (changed) & Decisions

Thank you for praying with me about the many decisions I've had to make recently!! I have to admit, I could easily become overwhelmed but God has given me incredible peace! Art has been right beside me, holding my hand, and helping me make these tough choices. God has given us clear direction and a unity each time. My girls are very supportive, too! Together, we have laughed and cried.

We met with the surgeon again, and have decided on a bilateral mastectomy. This was not a decision made lightly, but after consulting with two doctors, we are comfortable with the choice. The words from my gyn doc ring in my head, "you have to live with your decision". That is my goal...I want to LIVE with my decision!! I don't want to look back with regrets!

Here's the schedule...

I will meet with the oncologist on Monday morning.
I preregister for the surgery Monday afternoon.
Surgery is scheduled for 4:30 pm on Thursday (yes, today they changed the date) and will take about 2 1/2 hours.
I will stay at least one night in the hospital.

After meeting with the oncologist, I will have more information about my treatment following the surgery. The surgeon said I will require chemo because of the tumor size (3mm or about 1 inch). Chemo will probably start a few weeks after surgery and the surgeon said I should expect about a 6 month recovery time.

My goal is to continue to work during my treatment and healing. I love my job! I have help and support from coworkers, if I should need it.

Thank you for your prayers!!

7 comments:

Stacey said...

I'm so glad you're blogging again! I think it could be really good with you to share your feelings. Thanks for letting me in on it :o)

Sherry said...

I think that it is great that you are blogging agian too. I argree with Stacey in that you should exspress your feelings. Hang in there!!

Fred said...

Hey girl, just wanted you to know that we are trying to keep up with the lastest news. I've never blogging before but, if it's like a two step, I think I can keep up with the best. Thanks for sharing with us and remember, we are all praying for your speedy recovery. Love from us all here in Nebraska. Uncle Fred and Aunt DeeDee and Boys

colette said...

Im praying for you Sister Susie.May the healing hand of our Saviour rest upon you as you undergo your surgery and recovery.Love you!

Karen said...

Hey friend...I'm sure sharing this life change will be healthy for you, but it's just like you to take care of your family and friends by creating this blog to communicate with each of us:) I'm so proud of you, Susie, for meeting this fork in the road head on and trusting in God's promises. I know you just started on this journey, but you’re already an inspiration to me!

Melissa Tarazon said...

Susie, We will be here ready to help support you and love on you just like you always do us.

Love Ya Melissa

Beth said...

You are The Picture of COURAGE and GRACE! I pray that God puts his healing hands on you as He directs the doctor to remove all of the cancer. God knew our paths would cross for a reason and I thank Him for my new friend. "KEEP SINGING" my precious friend. Lots of love and hugs.